Monday, June 7, 2010

stand up and be counted

Sal & Jen in stand-up style
 
I have found my calling in this watery world - stand up paddleboarding (SUP).  I was about to hang up the surfboard and stick to swimming, for want of a pain free neck and shoulder girdle, then Bingin Mick lent me his stand up and I had an epiphany. 


This morning, a few of us decide to do a circuit across the lagoon, out the channel to the ocean side of the reef, behind the wave and back to shore.  A distance of around 4 km.  Going out is joy, breeze at our back, fish milling below, all is well.  Then the off shore picks up and we are fighting our way to keep on course. 


I am on a wave-riding SUP with drop rails; the wind chop is swamping my board and my body is acting as a sail.  As my shoulder fatigues, I'm on a quick course toward Africa.  Help!  Thankfully, the hotel boat is in the area with some guests spearfishing, so I wave my paddle in desperation and bum a lift to shore.

My new passion is untarnished, but I think I'll stay inside the lagoon unless the winds are on-shore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...